Healthy Eating 80/20!
So what’s the deal with 80/20? Leading a healthy lifestyle doesn’t just include your exercise routine. Yes, exercising is extremely important, but it only represents about 20% of overall health, inside and out.
What you eat, believe it or not, is actually that 80%. This is why quite often people struggle to really make a lifestyle change to become healthier. They may not be eating properly even though they are exercising. This leads to discouragement because they aren’t getting the results they’re after. Then often times they quit and fall back into their unhealthy habits…
And, this is one of the ways that I can help you improve your health! With NUTRITION on top of exercising!! I can help guide you with proper eating habits that won’t compromise your quality of life, but rather add to it in a tasty way 🙂
Healthy eating does not mean that you have to give up the foods that you love either. Quite the opposite. Learning portion control, as well as eating smaller more frequent meals can boost the metabolism. This allows for better absorption of nutrients and also cuts down on cravings.
Healthy Recipes to get you started!
Here are some of my favorite healthy recipes to get you headed in the right direction! *These recipes are presuming there are no food allergies or dietary restrictions*
- 6 slices of lean turkey lunch meat
- 1 slice of thinly sliced provolone cheese
- 2 Romaine leaves
- 6 round slices of peeled cucumber
- 3 slices of a Roma tomato
- your favorite condiment (light mayo for me)
- Himalayan or sea salt, cracked black pepper & dried basil
- 1 whole grain/ multi grain tortilla wrap
Take whole grain wrap and spread your condiment down the middle. Take the two rinsed pieces of Romaine leaves and place them in the middle of the wrap, side by side. Take cheese split in half and place over the romaine lining the middle. Place the 6 slices of lunch meat folded down the middle over the cheese. Take the cucumber slices and stagger them throughout the wrap. Then take the tomato slices and line the middle. Finally season with salt, pepper & basil to taste. Sometimes I also add Italian dressing to it as well. Wrap it up and you’re good to go!!
Cilantro Lime Chicken & Roasted Veggies!
- Purchase pre-marinated cilantro lime chicken from your local grocery store, or marinate yourself, using 2 boneless skinless chicken thighs, 2 sprigs of fresh cilantro, about 2 Tbsp of lime juice, 1 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil. Whisk ingredients together and then place chicken in large bag with marinade. Keep the chicken in the refrigerator for at least an hour, then follow directions below.
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Cut up veggies while the oven is preheating.
- Dice multicolored bell peppers, potatoes, red/ purple onion & zucchini into medium sized chunks and spread evenly throughout glass casserole pan.
- Place aluminum foil over veggies and put in oven for 10 minutes
- Take veggies out and then season already marinated chicken with salt & pepper, place on top of veggies in the middle of the casserole pan, recover with aluminum foil and cut 4 small slits to vent on the four corners of foil. Place back in the oven.
- Let cook for at least 40 minutes extra. Food is done when chicken is no longer pink in the middle and reaches a temperature of 165° (check by inserting thermometer halfway into the thickest part of the chicken)
Then serve and enjoy!!
Healthy Smoothie/ Shake Recipes!
I’m going to start with the recipe from my latest blog post “Knowing what you put in your body”
Berry Green Blast!
- 1/2 cup of plain unsweetened Greek yogurt
- 1 cup unsweetened regular almond milk
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- Ground chia & flax seed (sprinkled in)
- Frozen mixed berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries & raspberries)
- 1/2 cup kale & baby spinach
- 4 large ice cubes
Blend and enjoy!
Healthy Summer Snacks!
Eating clean and staying full is actually easier than you might think. Oh, and p.s it doesn’t have to taste bad 😉
Here are just some examples of what I have eaten over this Summer and they are all amazing tasting!
- Top left is just a mix of diced mini cucumbers, lean turkey & provolone cheese roll-ups sliced, sliced avocado, black olives and baby spinach, with Italian dressing drizzled on to taste. Super quick, filling and great tasting.
- Top right frozen mixed berries, 1/2 small frozen banana, plain almond milk mixed in a food processor, served with plain almonds and 2 fresh strawberries.
- Bottom left mixed salad veggies, romaine, heirloom tiny tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, green bell pepper, 2 hard boiled eggs & shredded mozzarella with Italian dressing.
- Finally bottom right sliced cucumber seasoned with fresh dill & parsley flakes, 2 hard boiled eggs seasoned with paprika & mini heirloom tomatoes.